DDD by Dr. Macrene
Drugstore, Device, Dermatology
Acne may be caused by several leading factors:
1. Hormones during puberty, menstrual cycle, polycystic ovary disease, and menopause.
2. External factors such as application of occlusive oils, pomades, mica or talc.
3. Dietary factors such as high carbohydrate or dairy intake.
How do hormones cause acne?
Hormonal acne is exacerbated by the fluctuations in hormone levels and by the action of male hormones, called androgens, on the hair follicle. This stimulates the follicle to make sebum which backs up into comedones, pustules and in severe cases, cysts.
Treatments for acne:
Dermatologic therapies for acne mainly include:
1. Topical agents and Prescriptions, such as retinoids, antiobiotics, and sulfur preparations.
2. Oral medications, including antibiotics, oral contraceptives, and anti-androgens, such as spironolactone off-label, and in severe cases, isotretinoin.
3. Procedures to treat acne in the office include chemical peels, extractions, injections and lasers. Most recently, I have been lead investigator in a novel laser to treat acne.
Skincare for Acne Prone Skin:
Acne prone skin is usually oily due to excess sebum, so the key pearl is to avoid clogging of pores in order to minimize breakouts. Know your skin type and only use topical agents that are compatible with your skin as irritation will only exacerbate acne.
1. Ingredients to Avoid:
- Use products which are non-comedogenic and free from petrolatum, oil, waxes, mica and talc, such as all of MACRENE actives formulas.
2. Good Skincare Regimen:
Wash skin with lukewarm water & two pumps of the High Performance Cleanser
- Pat dry and apply the High Performance Serum
- If you are using prescription topical agents, apply a pea size amount on top once serum is absorbed.
- For blemishes, dab a tiny amount of the High Performance Concealer which contains antioxidants, anti-blemish actives and is free of mica or talc and non-comedogenic for a therapeutic coverage.
Dr. Macrene Acne Prone Regimen:
© 2022 MACRENE actives, All rights reserved